Backdating council tax

Rated 4.64/5 based on 789 customer reviews

Sometimes Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support customers think we should pay their benefit from a date before we receive their claim. Backdating is sometimes possible but only in limited circumstances.It is always best to make your claim as soon as possible.In certain circumstances, it may be possible to award benefit / reduction from an earlier date. The maximum amount of time that your claim can be backdated is different for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction claims.The maximum period a Housing Benefit claim can be backdated for working age customers is one month from the date you request it.The decision can, from 1/4/2018 be backdated for a maximum of 1 month for Housing Benefit and 6 months for Council Tax Reduction for people of working age, and 3 months for people of pension age.To apply for this, you will need to state this when you fill in your Housing or Council Tax Reduction claim form and include a letter or statement with your form, which states the reasons you could not have claimed any earlier, or complete the separate backdated benefit claim form.If you don't agree with our decision you can ask us to look at it again. If you think that you may have been entitled to Housing or Council Tax Reduction and have a really good reason for not have been claiming before, you may be able to get the decision backdated.

backdating council tax-55

backdating council tax-27

If you are of pensionable age, we are able to consider ‘backdating’ your claim for up to three months automatically.

We must be sure that a person of your age/experience would also have failed to apply. We must take account of all the facts of your case.

Some examples of when you may have good cause are: You can do this by writing to the Benefits Team using the contact details below. The more information and evidence you give, the quicker the decision.

The maximum period claims for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction can be backdated is three months but this will be applied automatically, without having to show good cause for not claiming earlier.

It is not possible to backdate a claim any further than these periods.

Leave a Reply